We are receiving reports of phishing attempts with the subjects of "Verify," "You've exceeded your mailbox limit," etc. circulating through campus email. When you receive a suspicious email, do not click on any links or attachments and do not reply to it.
We recommend the following:
- If you have given out financial information, immediately make a report to Public Safety at (765) 658-5555 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Do not respond to or click on any links or attachments.
- Select the suspicious email in your mailbox, then click Report spam to remove it from your account and to report it to Google. When you do this, you may be given two options:
- Report spam - Choose this option - CHOOSE OPTION 1.
- Unsubscribe and report spam - Do NOT choose this option.
- Change your Google Apps Account password immediately if you replied to a suspicious email or opened an attachment by following the step-by-step instructions at Change password: Google Apps Account (email) on the IT KnowledgeBase.
- Run a virus scan as a further precaution if you have received a suspicious email. The Securing devices article on the IT KnowledgeBase is the place to go to learn how you can download and run Symantec Endpoint Protection on your computer. Symantec is free to all members of the DePauw campus.
- Additional information is available on the IT KnowledgeBase at Information Security.
Furthermore, the Secure your Google Apps account article on the IT KnowledgeBase recommends proactive steps you can take to ensure that you are doing everything you can to keep your account and data safe. Please note the section on 2-Step Verification, which is recommended for those who do not regularly use public computers.
Please contact the HelpDesk at HelpDesk@depauw.edu or (765
) 658-4294 with any questions or concerns.