Friday, August 26, 2011

Weekend Technology Troubleshooting Tips: Printing, Moodle, Passwords,and I: Drives

Following are some quick tips for troubleshooting the most common problems reported by the HelpDesk this week. If you don’t find the answer to your question in the following, as always, you can contact the HelpDesk (765-658-4294) or helpdesk@depauw.edufor more help.


What’s the problem?What computer are you using?Short-term solutionLong-term solution
I: Drive


I can’t access my class I: Drive.A laptopTry using a library scholar station or lab computer instead.Install the script for logging on to the network on your laptop. Find info at https://sites.google.com/a/depauw.edu/network.
I can’t access my class I: Drive.Library scholar station or lab computerFirst, try restarting the computer and logging in again. If that still doesn’t work then . . .Try asking a classmate to email the class materials to you.If you are supposed to save a file for class on your I: drive, email it to your professor instead (with an explanation that you’re having difficulty logging in to I:).Visit the HelpDesk on Monday for assistance with resetting your network account.
Printing


I can’t print to a public printer.A laptopTry using a library scholar station or lab computer instead.Install the printers on your laptop.Find info at https://sites.google.com/a/depauw.edu/printer-copier.
I can’t print to a public printer.A Mac Laptop that I’ve already installed the printers on.Try reinstalling the printers:1. Download the latest patches and updates for your system:·  Click the Apple at the top left of your screen

·  Click Software Update -> Show Details

·  Select all the updates and click Install X Items -> Agree

2. Remove previously installed printers, then empty your trash

3. Install the printers again.
Find info at https://sites.google.com/a/depauw.edu/printer-copier.
If reinstalling the printer doesn’t work, try using a library scholar station or lab computer instead.Then visit the HelpDesk on Monday for assistance.
I can’t print to a public printer.Library scholar station or lab computerFirst, try restarting the computer and logging in again. If that still doesn’t work then . . .Try asking a friend to print the class materials for you and offer to reimburse them.Visit the HelpDesk on Monday for assistance with resetting your printing password.
Moodle


I can’t log into Moodle.Any computerTry asking a classmate to email the class materials to you.If you are supposed to save a file for class on your I: drive, email it to your professor instead (with an explanation that you’re having difficulty logging in to I:).Visit the HelpDesk on Monday for assistance with resetting your Moodle/network account.