Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Don't lose your email -- Go Google at DePauw by Saturday May 1 !


 From Carol L. Smith, CIO

GoGoogleSheet-cropped

Remember -- Starting on May 1 all new email sent to DePauw will go to your Google Apps account instead of GroupWise/Tigermail.

Many DePauw students, faculty and staff members have activated their Google Apps accounts already, but there are many more to go. If you haven’t yet activated your account, do it today!

As always, if you have any questions about the Google Apps rollout (or any other IT-related projects), please don’t hesitate to contact me at clsmith@depauw.edu.

Cheers,

--Carol.             “I’ve gone Google. Have you?”

To find out your Google Apps password and activate your account, you can:

  • Go to http://tinyurl.com/depauw-go-google
  • Or visit the Google Apps Activation StationMonday-Friday, 11:00am-1:00pm
    Union Building

    Stop by, learn more about Google at DePauw, and get help getting started with Google Apps!

Some common questions that are answered in the following include:

  1. What happens if my Google Apps account isn't activated by May 1?
  2. Is it complicated to activate my Google Apps account?
  3. I’m a Senior and graduate this spring; do I have to move over to my Google Apps account?
  4. Will I still be able to read my old GroupWise/Tigermail email after May 1?
  5. I’ve activated my Google Apps account, but haven’t received any new mail there yet. Why not?
  6. Can I send email to DePauw distribution lists from Google Apps (i.e., faculty@depauw.edu, staff@depauw.edu, facultystaff@depauw.edu) after May 1?
  7. I tried to log in with the password indicated at http://tinyurl.com/depauw-go-google, but it didn’t seem to work. What should I do?
  8. I don’t have a student or employee ID; how do I find my Google Apps password?
  9. Where else can I get help with Google Apps?

1. What happens if my Google Apps account isn't activated by May 1?

You will not receive any new mail sent to your DePauw address (e.g., johndoe_2010@depauw.edu) until you activate and log in to your Google Apps account.

2. Is it complicated to activate my Google Apps account?

Nope. All you need to do is find out your Google Apps password from http://tinyurl.com/depauw-go-google, then go log in to your account. Once you have logged in the first time and set your password to something easy to remember, then you are all set!

3. I’m a Senior and graduate this spring; do I have to move over to my Google Apps account?

Yes, because that’s where all your new mail will be sent after May 1. If you don’t Go Google by that date, you will likely miss important messages from your professors, the University, potential employers, graduate schools, your grandma, …everyone! Even if you are a graduating Senior, you need to activate your DePauw Google Apps account.

4. Will I still be able to read my old GroupWise/Tigermail email after May 1?

Yes. GroupWise/Tigermail will still be available for you to read your old mail (or copy it to Google Apps) until October. You have until October to copy everything over that you wish to keep.

5. I’ve activated my Google Apps account, but haven’t received any new mail there yet. Why not?

Between now and May 1, to read your new email using Google Apps, you need to create a ‘rule’ in your GroupWise/Tigermail account to forward messages there. Find out how at https://sites.google.com/a/depauw.edu/depauw-google-apps/tigermail-email-rule.

6. Can I send email to DePauw distribution lists from Google Apps (i.e., faculty@depauw.edu, staff@depauw.edu, facultystaff@depauw.edu) after May 1?

Yes. After May 1, just send messages directly to those addresses from Google Apps as you normally would and it will work!

7. I tried to log in with the password indicated at http://tinyurl.com/depauw-go-google, but it didn’t seem to work. What should I do?

If you have difficulties with your initial password, contact or visit the HelpDesk for assistance (email helpdesk@depauw.edu or visit Monday-Friday 8am-5pm).

8. I don’t have a student or employee ID; how do I find my Google Apps password?

Contact or visit the HelpDesk for assistance (email helpdesk@depauw.edu or visit Monday-Friday 8am-5pm).

9. If you have any other questions or need help:

Visit Google Apps Help online at https://sites.google.com/a/depauw.edu/depauw-google-apps/